If you’re a parent to super cute and cuddly fur babies, you know how tough it is to make your home look clean and smell fresh every day. With your pets around, keeping your home clean seems like next to impossible. It looks like caring for pets is synonymous with a messy house.
In this blog, we will discuss how to choose a steam mop for hard floors and steam carpet cleaners for carpet floors. For the sake of uniformity, we will refer to both tools as “steam mop” to mean either a steam mop or steam carpet cleaner.
The purpose of a steam mop is to take out the debris, pelt, and urine caused by your pets. An ordinary mop may not be enough to remove all the dirt that your pet brings inside your home. It will help if you have a hard floor cleaner that can eliminate deep-seated dirt and bad odor using steam.
Thankfully, you can count on steam mops to get rid of the dirt caused by your ever-loyal pets. When looking for steam mops, consider the following factors:
Deep Reaching Power
Pets are therapeutic to have, but they can also give you headaches if they create so much mess. While some pets are trainable, others are just too playful and active by nature. They don’t mind what they bring inside your home, or where they pee. Even if you tell them, they don’t stop taking in more dirt, and you can’t ground them for that.
With all these in mind, you need a carpet steam cleaner that can reach deep inside the carpet. This ability ensures that it can take out fur, stains, and spills that are otherwise too stubborn to clean.
Built-in Hair Compartment
A steam mop with a dedicated compartment for hair bunnies helps a lot when cleaning the floor. This feature will enable the mop to separate hair from other dirt and prevent it from tangling up with other elements – a measure necessary for the maintenance of the mop.
A good steam mop should have a big tank to store water and a separate tank for dirt. Big water capacity is necessary to enable the machine to produce steam – an agent that helps in removing dirt, debris, and stains. You need the vapor to go further into the carpet, and therefore, you don’t want to make repeated trips just to fill up the tank while cleaning.
Why Use Steam for Floor
Cleaning using the power of steam rather than harmful chemicals is more environment-friendly. If you use a different option to bleaching constantly, you will notice that it diminishes the color of your carpet. The harsh chemicals found on bleach solutions can harm your carpet (and your pets) over time.
Steaming can effectively remove dirt and stains, especially if you’re using the right tool for the job. For more environment-friendly options, you
can use ordinary tap water to produce the steam. Also, a steam cleaner can kill 99% of household germs, including those coming from hair bunnies and pet urine. It is also useful in terminating dust mites and surface mold.
Lastly, a machine that can produce steam that reaches 175 °F can sanitize surfaces effectively. The good news is, most steam mops in the market today can produce steam that can reach up to 245 °F.
A word of caution: do not use a steam mop on flooring that has gaps or cracks (no matter how small). Since the steam forces itself unto the cracks and crevices, it can damage some materials like vinyl, which can warp when exposed to high heat. But in general, steam mops work great on ceramic tile and other hard floors.
Best Steam Mops for Pets
While there are many steam mops for pets available almost everywhere, we can make a few recommendations for you. Here are our top 3 picks for steam mops:
BISSELL PowerFresh Steam Mop
- Clean and sanitize sealed hard floors without the use of harsh chemicals; Eliminates 99.9 percent of germs and bacteria with the natural power of steam.
- Power through tough, sticky messes with the flip-down, easy scrubber.
- Choose from high, medium, or low steam based on your cleaning needs with the smart set digital steam control.
- Features swivel steering and a 23-foot power cord. Ready to use in 30 seconds.
- Includes (1) soft microfiber pad, (1) microfiber scrubby pad, (2) spring breeze fragrance discs, and a carpet glider. Power rating: 1500 watts.
Bissell Symphony Pet Steam Mop and Steam Vacuum
- Vacuum And Steam Your Floors At The Same Time
- The Pet Model Features The Exclusive Drop-It Tank Emptying System Which Prevents You From Getting Your Hands Dirty
- The Pet Model Includes Disposable Pads For Those Pet Messes You’d Rather Throw Away And Washable Microfiber Pads For Everyday Cleaning
- Powerful, Cyclonic Vacuum Helps Capture Pet Hair And Debris. Power rating: 1100 Watts for Steam / 400 Watts for Vacuum / 3. 3 Vacuum Amps
BISSELL CrossWave All-in-One Multi-Surface Wet Dry Vacuum 1785
- Two-Tank Technology keeps clean water and formula separate from dirty water and dry debris. Forever clean everyday messes with a new solution.
- Dual-Action Multi-Surface Brush Roll uses an innovative microfiber and nylon brush to mop and pick up dry debris at the same time. The brush roll rotates at 3000 RPM.
- Vacuum and wash your floors at the same time! The BISSELL CrossWave Multi-Surface Floor Cleaner cleans better than a sponge mop and bucket in less time.
- There is always a way to make your home looking tidy even if you’re a pet parent. With the help of the right steam mops specially designed to remove debris, stubborn stains, and foul smell of urine, you can make your home look and smell great in no time.